Crud, I just somehow deleted a post I was writing. It was more of a vent really on how I'm super exhausted that all the children in my house seem to have sleep issues. Who knows, maybe it is me? I can't figure it out because I LOVE to sleep. It is on my top 3 favorite activies list. My children, not so much.
Ian hates to sleep. Always has. As a 0-3 month year old, when the books all said that newborns would be sleepy, he hated it. Yet, he needed it so it made him perpetually crabby and cranky. He would sleep when being walked around in the Bjorn. You would only get 20 minutes at a clip, that was pretty much it. At night, he would wake every 1 - 3 hours like clockwork. When Ian turned one, I celebrated because he was a hard baby. It really is amazing we had another. To this day, he wakes at night at least 3 or 4 times a week. Last night, he came in our room and told me it was 6 (when we allow him to wake up), so I let him crawl into bed. When Leah started crying about 15 minutes later, I looked at the clock and realized it was only 1:45am.
So after Leah was born, I thought I had it made. She was a sleepy newborn and for the first 2 months, she was fantastic. After a week, she got her days and nights straight and she would usually give me at least one 5-6 hour stretch. At 2 months, whe "woke up" and it has been a crapshoot with her sleeping ever since. She is better than Ian was, but she is a night owl. During her first 18 months, she would frequently wake at 1 or so in the morning and be up for 2 or 3 hours. She didn't need to be walked, so we could chill on the couch catching up on TiVo. Her latest issue is she wants me to rub her back until she falls asleep every night. Yeah, I'm not so into standing over her crib for 15+ minutes every evening and maybe again at 2am. So, here we are crying it out - again. When I started the blog (the first time), she was screaming. Now she is sleeping. All I can hope is that Ian or Leah is not sitting on some therapist's couch in 30 years dealing with some issue because their parents abandoned them at bedtime. We will see.....
Ian hates to sleep. Always has. As a 0-3 month year old, when the books all said that newborns would be sleepy, he hated it. Yet, he needed it so it made him perpetually crabby and cranky. He would sleep when being walked around in the Bjorn. You would only get 20 minutes at a clip, that was pretty much it. At night, he would wake every 1 - 3 hours like clockwork. When Ian turned one, I celebrated because he was a hard baby. It really is amazing we had another. To this day, he wakes at night at least 3 or 4 times a week. Last night, he came in our room and told me it was 6 (when we allow him to wake up), so I let him crawl into bed. When Leah started crying about 15 minutes later, I looked at the clock and realized it was only 1:45am.
So after Leah was born, I thought I had it made. She was a sleepy newborn and for the first 2 months, she was fantastic. After a week, she got her days and nights straight and she would usually give me at least one 5-6 hour stretch. At 2 months, whe "woke up" and it has been a crapshoot with her sleeping ever since. She is better than Ian was, but she is a night owl. During her first 18 months, she would frequently wake at 1 or so in the morning and be up for 2 or 3 hours. She didn't need to be walked, so we could chill on the couch catching up on TiVo. Her latest issue is she wants me to rub her back until she falls asleep every night. Yeah, I'm not so into standing over her crib for 15+ minutes every evening and maybe again at 2am. So, here we are crying it out - again. When I started the blog (the first time), she was screaming. Now she is sleeping. All I can hope is that Ian or Leah is not sitting on some therapist's couch in 30 years dealing with some issue because their parents abandoned them at bedtime. We will see.....

1 Comments:
At 1:04 PM ,
Meri said...
Hang in there. I don't know anyone who ended up in therapy b/c their parents got tough on bedtime issues. Therapy seems to have only hit the ones who have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement ...
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home